Houston has a long history of a flourishing arts scene, and with the community’s support behind them, local arts organizations have big plans ahead. Over the next five years, Houstonians will watch the designs and development of several building projects unfold. Our upcoming class, Arts on the Rise: The Design and Development of Six Houston Arts Organizations, will bring you behind the scenes of the recent wave of developments. The six-week course will provide an opportunity to hear from architects, curators, arts organization directors, project directors and other leaders about the highlights and challenges involved.
Speakers will include:
- Stephen Fox, architectural historian, lecturer in the Rice University School of Architecture and fellow of the Anchorage Foundation of Texas
- Sarah Whiting, William Ward Watkin Professor, dean of the Rice University School of Architecture and partner, WW Architects
- Alison Weaver, the new executive director of the Moody Center for the Arts and the former director of affiliates for the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York
- Sheryl Kolasinski, deputy director and chief operating officer of the Menil Institute
- David Breslin, Menil Drawing Institute chief curator
- Gary Tinterow, director of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Dean Gladden, managing director of the Alley Theatre
- Rebecca Udden, founding artistic director of Main Street Theater
- Joe Kirkendall, project director and capital campaign director at Main Street Theater
- Chuck Still, executive director of MATCH
- Jill Jewett, project manager at MATCH and president of Jewett Consulting
Enjoy some images of a few of the projects that are underway.
Kim Espinosa, Marketing Specialist